The Wright Family Blog

What's Going On With The Wrights?

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Do-Everything Phone

I've had my smartphone, specifically my iPhone, for three months now.
Previously I had a simple Nokia model with few features. I hardly
carried it with me and when clients called it, there was a good chance
I wouldn't have it with me or would be unable to hear it ring.

While I had kept up with the media coverage of smartphones, I did feel
a burning need to jump into the pool. Besides the costs, I just didn't
think I'd have a need for a better phone; email had become my main
communication tool with customers. I began to tune most of the media
coverage out since I had no real interest.

That changed when I got my iPhone in July. As a birthday gift of
sorts, it took the place of my iPod Classic which I handed down to my
daughter. It also meant my crummy Nokia phone could be used more often
by my other daughter when she needed it and my son would get his
oldest sister's iPod Nano. Everyone but my wife would benefit!

While I was well aware of the iPhone's music, web browsing, email and
camera features, the rest of it's usefullness really surprised me.

The map app with GPS means I'll likely never get lost again. The
variety of sports apps mean I'll always know the score. The Internet
radio and music streaming apps mean I don't need to carry as many
tunes with me. The radio apps mean I can listen to many of my favorite
stations wherever I'm at. The Wikipedia apps mean I can always look up
facts or answer a trivia question. The YouTube app comes in handy when
looking up a popular clip or 80's music video. Google apps mean I
always have my to-do list, photo catalog, feed reader and more with
me. The weather apps give me accurate forecasts instantly and
revealing radar maps. The ebook apps let me finally read Tom Sawyer or
other classics for free. The clock app has become my chosen alarm and
timer. Instead of texting, I use the email app. Oh, and the great
games offer a welcome diversion for me and the kids.

There are a ton of additional apps and features I've left out or are
just discovering. More coming every day.

How did I ever get by without a smartphone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home